(Robin Dickinson) #2
  1. Patients
  2. Doctors
  3. Economy (decreased waste)

Specifically:

Patients who

• Are uninsured or underinsured
  • Need extra time with their doctors
  • Prefer a more private experience (due to anxiety, alcoholism, transgender, notoriety, whatever)

Doctors who

• Are burned out
  • Need a more flexible schedule
  • Enjoy doing things their own way (ie don’t work and play well in the current system)
  • Need more time with their patients (due to practice style, complexity of patients, etc)

I’ll be curious to see what others say!

(Rudi Kauffman) #3

Hey Elizabeth,
I recognize that this is a bit of a late response, but I am discovering new edges of benefits of DPC all the time. First, I suppose I should introduce myself. I am, for better or worse, a nobody. My background is in justice studies and I left higher education to support my brother’s practice (Ryan Kauffman is a family doc here in rural Ohio).
To your question, while there are a lot of close calls about how benefits accrue in this system, I would argue the most obvious benefiting party that we have recently come into contact with are self-insured communities. Whether through health-sharing ministries or in more focused, conventional self-insured employer arrangements, we have found that there are substantial savings (from improved preventive medicine and increased patient compliance around medication use to substantial efficiency gains in purchase of prescriptions and use/cost of procedures and imaging.)
We have seen over 95% satisfaction rates among our patients while employers are finding a statistically significant decrease in missed work time and lower overall cost.
If you’d like to get more details, don’t hesitate to reach out.
However you go at medicine, thanks for your efforts and for the questions that focus on underlying issues of justice.

Warm regards,

Rudi