Spreading the word/Learning to speak DPC-ese?

(Elizabeth Hart) #1

How did you talk to “DPC-unaware” during your research phase or when you first started to get excited about DPC? For myself, its easy to start to feel like the village idiot or the town crier (depending on the crowd). It’s a completely foreign language to most people so very few engage…or immediately argue against…during my early conversations. Personally, I quit talking and asking and have done mostly observing/reading lately. Nearly a year later, I have a couple people wanting to learn more or starting to engage.
How did you create a following in the beginning, fully expecting you were going to make waves, and avoid the tidal wave wiping everything out?

(Elizabeth Eaman) #2

Are you talking about peers or patients? Or another population?

With peers it’s pretty easy to talk about DPC - I think most people are burned out or close to burning out they can see the good in DPC. Those that don’t I try to address each specific concern as they come up. Example: But there’s a shortage and DPC doesn’t see as many patients. Systemic response: If less people are quitting early, switching from primary care to urgent care, or choosing primary care because of DPC, and less people are literally killing themselves because of burnout, then I don’t think it’s an issue. Personal response: If I didn’t do this, I’d probably be working at Starbucks in 2 years. Then none of my patients would have a doctor.

With patients I usually talk about what I like about DPC and the access, relationship, and leaving the big-box-short-visit-never-can-get-in-with-your-own-doctor system. I would not be exaggerating to say almost every patient I talk to about DPC thinks it a great idea - but not all of those people want to do it. Some like the idea of change but can’t fathom doing it.

I am never pushy but I am passionate. That makes a huge difference.

Hope that helped!

(Kirsten Harrison, DC) #3

Very concise and helpful, @oodleMD. This is something I hadn’t thought of…clearly I’m not speaking of it to enough (any?) people yet!

(Robin Dickinson) #4

@drkharrison It helps to polish your explanation with family, friends, neighbors, etc before talking to potential patients. If you can talk about it in an enthusiastic, warm, friendly way with your friends that just sounds like you’re telling them about what you do and not like a sales pitch and then do it the same way with patients, you’ll be well on your way to explaining it to potential patients