Promoting Bi-Partisan DPC

(Dr Lisa Davidson) #1

We need to bring a little balance to DPC. It’s leaning way right at the moment. I’ve had 2 conservative talk show hosts showing interest in Denver this week. Hannity, Fox and now Rush Limbaugh are embracing it. That’s all well and good, but it is a NON-PARTISAN health care solution. Does anyone have a contact in the liberal media? Anyone? Anywhere?

Community Launch Competition... Win Awesome Prizes!
(Robin Dickinson) #2

@lisainden I totally agree! We can’t let this become a partisan thing.

Until we find a connection, we can start by contacting them. If enough of us do, they’ll think more about it. For instance, CPR has a contact form that lets you choose “story suggestion” http://www.cpr.org/about/contact

And Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news-tips/

I flat out said that I was concerned that this was being made partisan when it isn’t and I’d like more balanced reporting. I’m also asking people I know if they know someone. If we all work on it…

(Dr Rob Lamberts) #3

Amen. I HATE the fact that this issue is being commandeered by any ideology. I am, at best, a moderate. I certainly have no love for the Rush Limbaugh’s of this world. I greatly fear what could happen if we are championed too hard by one political persuasion. This is going to be my next blog post. PLEASE don’t make us a political issue!

(Dr Brian Pierce) #4

Every state has its own public radio outlet. That’s a lot of reporters who need to write several stories each week and surely some of us have connections to some of them. Any story from them would have credibility with moderates and progressives in other states as well.

Rob, I look forward to that blog post. That would be helpful as we prepare a social media campaign here in Maine ahead of our DPC law hitting the legislature this spring.

(Thomas Rhyne White MD) #5

Lisa - I totally agree. The more liberal-leaning folks can only think Single Payer right now. To get their attention and support, we in DPC need to make a better case for our commitment and ability to take care of the less fortunate. I am afraid DPC has acquired a reputation among many as simply a way for doctors to make more money and work less, which we know is far from the truth.

TRReid (I actually know him) might be one who would listen. He is for universal care - but perhaps we could make the case to him for DPC for all primary care - paid by the patient or the employer, or for the very less fortunate, a sharing of the cost between the DPC practice and the state (i.e. Medicaid) - and everything else single payer. Reid does have a voice, especially among the left.

Tom

(Dr Brian Pierce) #6

This was a good post from two years ago: https://commonsensemd.blogspot.com/2015/02/lets-get-creative-in-how-we-provide.html

We need more like that from outlets that are acceptable to progressives.

The first DPC network, Health Access Rhode Island, was founded by some liberal/progressive family docs ( see http://www.rifuture.org/health-care-101/ ) but I just checked their website and it’s gone so I’m guessing that died. Is that correct, @DrLauren?

(Jack Forbush, DO) #7

Ironic that folks call/scream for affordable healthcare yet ignore the affordability of DPC.

(Dr Mark Turshen) #8

@brianpierce HARI fizzled out a few years ago before we even started (8/14). Dr. Fine’s son was at the original DPC conference in 2013 but then it basically fell apart. It was more of a hybrid and, his son at least, was trying to form a network that fed back to that organization so it was a little clunky and never really got off the ground. One of the practices that was originally interested still “tries” to do DPC, though not sure if anyone actually is involved: https://www.coastalmedical.com/hillside-family-medicine/all-about-hillside-health-access-alliance

Hadn’t seen this article though, so thanks for passing it along. Dr. Fine is now in a different role (was he director of the DOH in RI), though not sure exactly what he’s up too.

(Cory Annis) #9

2 years ago, when I opened Unorthodoc®, I sent out a press release inviting journalists and reporters to do a story on the only healthcare idea that liberals and conservatives didn’t fight about, nay, COULDN’T fight about. I live in a little liberal bastion in a currently red state. Do you know how many hits that brought? Zero. ZERO! Must it always be bleeding and rancorous for press to pick it up? Conservatives love DPC because it is anti-government and very pro-personal responsibility. Liberals love it because it is very anti-corporate and very pro-community. I have activists from EVERY political party as patients. People walk in with holes in their shoes, others drive up in Escalades. Professionals, ditch-diggers, people with no insurance and people whose insurance literally pays for everything, Medicare and Medicaid recipients – the dichotomy goes on and on. What unites the people who become members in my practice is the belief that having a doctor who knows who they are and to whom they have easy access makes their health care safer, healthier, cheaper and more sensible. I’m no longer wasting time in the socialized vs free market debate. My office is “socially free” and I like it that way.

(Ken Rictor, MD) #10

I totally agree that DPC needs to be Bi Partisan but even that doesn’t seem to get the job done. We all know that it is a simple solution when you put the patient first. Tom Price has claimed this and preaches this with each interview. We must realize that the argument is not the care of heath care but who will pay for it. Our country has been trained to believe that the ONLY way to secure care is to have that third party payor. When a patient calls a NON DPC office, the first question is “What type of insurance do you have?” As if to say, do you have the credentials needed to warrant a response. A DPC first question is “What can I do for you today” By removing the bureaucracy we can concentrate on care.

But… this the debate. As long as we have multiple “NON CARE RELATED” groups that want to be fed through health care, we are going to have a struggle with this system. Julie Gunther related that for every one practicing physician in the US there are 16 managers for a health care system.

We also have to be able to have politicians that will be able to vote for the CORRECT solution rather than to stick to party lines. It is absolutely juvenile what is happening in our government right now. Making decisions based on what have you done to help me or what have you done to go against me rather than choosing a solution that makes sense for all.

We can only continue to hold DPC up as the solution where Patients come first and our efforts are to provide care to all at a reasonable affordable price and making health care better in this country

(Robin Dickinson) #11

The chart in this article says it all: https://thedoctorweighsin.com/the-rise-of-the-machine-how-hospitalpractice-admins-have-assumed-control/

(Dr Brian Pierce) #12

Nonprofit, charitable DPCs are nice for this because many on the left are stuck in the for profit=evil mindset.

This charitable DPC would be great except it’s Catholic so no abortions and we don’t want to go anywhere near that issue:

(Dr Lisa Davidson) #13

@trwhitemd that’s an excellent connection! Any voice we can get is a great one. DPC is appealing to everyone I’ve ever presented it to regardless of politics. One of the reasons it’s so great.

(Dr Lisa Davidson) #14

@brianpierce agree…I like the charitable model other than their women’s health stance. I first heard of the Robn Hood model years ago from this (Catholic) practice in Modesto, CA: http://www.stlukesfp.org

(Lissa Lubinski) #15

And what about better communicating more consistently in the media how many of us give discounted memberships? Or low memberships? While there is a range with DPC some are certainly on the lower end of prices and/or offer discounted rates. It might be powerful to cite that more often; I know I have actually seen that in articles I’ve read about DPC, including a well-written one on one DPC practice that specifically uses a 10% tithing model in her practice (am having trouble finding the link, thought it was on hint.com Best Practices, but may have been elsewhere). The only other thought is that value is not measured by the amount of discount, either, or simply by price, so that seems to be the tricky line we walk in DPC. We don’t want to just prove how cheap we can be. That’s not sustainable or really even useful long-term.

(Robin Dickinson) #16

Exactly. There are lots of ways we can help people. Often times just explaining that most of my patients are uninsured or underinsured and that for them, a single visit at urgent care is the same as a year with me helps people understand that. I always say that I would love it if everyone had the care they need and that my practice is just one of many wonderful choices but until that happens, I’m a necessary safety net for a broken system.

(Robin Dickinson) #17

Would you be willing to talk with him? Here in Colorado (where he has been very involved with attempts at universal healthcare within the state), we passed our DPC bill unanimously with strong bipartisan support, not just half-hearted, didn’t-care support. We had patients advocacy groups, rural health organization, etc. The reason is that until everyone has access to care, someone has to do something! My practice is a safety net clinic and I know a lot of the organizations working for underserved and I’m happy to state my case to him…though I doubt he’d pay attention to someone he’s never met!

(Thomas Rhyne White MD) #18

I will see if I can make contact.

Thomas Rhyne White MD FAAFP FNLA

(Jack Forbush, DO) #19

I, literally, just had a conversation with a local Pediatric Cardiologist who “knows all about my practice”…NOT say that it “simply isn’t a solution because it doesn’t address the catastrophic things in life” that he sees all the time…frankly there are some folks, this individual being one of them, that simply can’t see that anything short of a single-payor system has any validity. Sad to be honest. I tried conveying all the cost-savings measures direct primary care entails, the accessbility to primary care, blah, blah, blah…no go.

(Robin Dickinson) #20

That drives me crazy! Is it really my job to solve ALL the problems? Isn’t it enough that I solve 90% of them? (or whatever the current estimate is of what percentage of medical care can be provided in primary care)