Is DPC failing?--an interesting pair of articles

(Robin Dickinson) #1

I’m curious what others think of these articles? Clearly we’re a biased audience but maybe people think there is some merit in the first article?

Is the DPC movement at risk of failing?

Is direct primary care doomed to fail?

(Mark B McColl, MD) #2

I don’t think those articles necessarily apply to the majority of DPC practices. I’m no expert but most practices, mine included, are funded solely by the patient and not any corporate sponsors.

(cjs56) #3

doomed to fail good article.
seems to say that no need to grow too big.
concentrate on the simple stuff.
You can’t steal first base…got to get to first base before you can score.

(Dino William Ramzi) #4

(Robin Dickinson) #5

@mbmccoll That was my takeaway also. I have a couple hundred completely separate families in my practice so even if an entire family leaves, it’s barely a blip. Very different than getting all my money from one source!

(Dr Rob Lamberts) #6

There seems to be an inherent contradiction between DPC and venture capitalism. DPC is about efficient use of care to save money and improve health. Venture capitalism focuses on maximizing profit and return. Yes, the fact that some bigger DPC ventures have failed (although many have not), but this is probably more the crossing of the line from the primary goal of DPC to that of the big business/profit oriented motivations. I’m not saying it’s greed, but rather simply getting partners who are not aligned with the movement’s primary goals.

(Robin Dickinson) #7

This is the crux of it. It’s hard to imagine that what I do is in some way closely related to anything involving venture capitalism.