How do you make your practice comfortable?

(Robin Dickinson) #1

I’m curious how everyone makes your practice comfortable?

The most important comforts in my office are that I use sofas and armchairs instead of normal medical office furniture. Also the water cooler that also does hot water and a basket of tea bags, honey, mugs, etc.

Instead of little paper drapes for people who need to disrobe, I have a stack of old cotton tablecloths my mom sewed from calico years ago and didn’t want anymore…so much prettier and with better coverage! And similar for babies, I have soft flannel receiving blankets for the exam table and baby scale. Oh, and fuzzy socks on the “foot rests” (what I call stirrups with patients because it sounds so much nicer).

Having a family room is also extremely popular with my patients. Kids are comfortable and enjoy playing there and it lets parents really talk about what is worrying them (either about themselves or their kids).

What all do you do?

(Dr Rob Lamberts) #2

I spent a lot to make my office look homey. The overall decor and feel of it is comfortable (in the words of many patients). Hardwood-looking laminate floors, nice pictures on the walls, comfy furniture, and some personal things from home are the specifics for me. Even more, we act in a way that makes people comfortable. That’s the 90%, with the decor etc being the 10% (IMO).

(Jason Larsen) #3

This is the approach that we have taken as well!

While we try to keep things comfortable (we also don’t have normal medical waiting room furniture, but nice, leather chairs with armrests… that people don’t use that often!), we really have emphasized having a great person up front when people first walk in (or call, etc.).

We are in a rural setting, so it’s normal for people to stop by without calling ahead, and it’s important to us to have a welcoming voice and face up front. This is so important that we hired one receptionist thinking that she was very welcoming, and turned out she clammed up in front of people, so we had to let her go.

(Robin Dickinson) #4

So true! I don’t have staff and of course, I’ve been the same me no matter where I work; but yes, making people feel comfortable interpersonally is the most important! I have often been told “you don’t act like a doctor”–which is meant as a compliment–I think people have a picture of a doctor who is rushed, bossy, and doesn’t listen. I think DPC pretty naturally fixes most of that! I imagine being choosy about staff is critical!