DPC brokers

(Richard R. Samuel, MD ) #1

Do any of my NW DPC colleagues have experience with EverMedDPC, a broker out of Clark County, Washington? They supposedly match practices with employers who are interested in providing a direct care option for their employees…RRS

(Dr. Peter Lehmann) #2

@Dino_William_Ramzi can tell you all about it.

(Richard R. Samuel, MD ) #3

Thanks Peter…RRS

(Dino William Ramzi) #4

I was cofounder and was very enthusiastic for awhile. However my partners and I have reached an impasse in terms of our vision.

I am looking for an opportunity to withdraw because their data requests are not consistent with DPC. I remain a shareholder until such time as I can reach an agreement to separate (I have asked them to buy me out.)

The CEO is unable to take a collaborative approach with his CMO and partner. I doubt EverMed is appropriate for independent practitioners seeking disintermediation.

(Robin Dickinson) #5

@Dino_William_Ramzi I’m always so impressed with your integrity and your vision for DPC. Thanks.

(Richard R. Samuel, MD ) #6

Dino…thank you for your response. In your opinion, what ways are their data requests not consistent with our DPC mission? What do you mean when you say that EverMed is not "appropriate for independent practitioners seeking disintermediation."I appreciate your insights.Rich

(Dino William Ramzi) #7

I was ordered to comply with a requirement to provide zero dollar claims. Providing visit level data did not seem appropriate for a DPC since we do not provide care on a visit by visit basis and do not have a practice management system in order to provide such claims. It seemed rather imperious and contradictory of everything DPC embodies.

(Chris Lacroix) #8

Can any one tell me if there are any pitfalls or have any advice in working with companies that provide/sell benefits to small employers? I have a DPC practice in an area that the Idea is realtively new. I have made some good business relationships in the 18 months we have been open, and one of those people who has been singing this style of practice’s praises the loudest and making many referrals (for free) through a local networking group. He has changed jobs and now working with a company who provides benefit packages to companies throughout our region/state. He is very interested in offering our DPC program as a stand alone, or as part of their products to employers. What is the going rate, and what if any thing should I protect against.

(Richard R. Samuel, MD ) #9

Thanks for your comments…RRS

(Simplifi Benefits) #10

Chiming in as Devil’s Advocate from a insurance consultant/broker perspective. The reason brokers and employers may want the reporting is to be able to measure the impact of the DPC versus the assumptions. So if you can at least document the visit via the Administrator the data will then be able to be aggregated very easily. The TPA or broker should have analytical tools that take the raw claim data and then lever it in a bunch of ways. If this system has the ability to segregate those participating in the DPC from those who do not you will have a great case study, especially with the downstream spend reduction in lab/rad/rx which is the main way you show ROI to the employer who is paying for this service.

Obviously I don’t know about Dino’s particular situation and completely trust his ability to asses, just wanted to let you know what the employers are looking at. And frankly, if they are paying for something they have a right to determine the cost benefit just like you do when you purchase items, use consultants or subscribe to services.

(Robin Dickinson) #11

@SimplifiMe That’s why it’s so interesting having the different perspectives on here.

One of the hallmarks of DPC is that we don’t have to checkboxes. That’s one way we save time and money and can focus more on the patient.

I’m wondering if there’s another way of gathering data that would be more useful. Ultimately, why report each and every visit if the total care is better? @drcflanagan Didn’t you guys get good data based on savings a particular company enjoyed, reduced absenteeism, increased satisfaction, etc rather than having to check boxes etc?

Haven’t the benefits of DPC been proven with the IBM experience with DPC, i.e. reduced absenteeism, hospital and urgent care visits, improved morale, etc. etc.?

(Dino William Ramzi) #13

I agree that we need to have some management controls. If anything ever goes wrong and costs spike every provider would want to be able to go back and figure out why. My objection is to require traditional fee-for-service data when I am already collecting more relevant management data. By more relevant I mean relevant to actual patient care, cost effectively gathering the information that everyone needs, but the TPA insists on The format they are already accustomed to.