Direct primary care without an actual physical office

(Matthew Haden) #21

You can start very basic or splurge on equipment and supplies. I don’t have itemized prices, but I can send you a link to my Amazon list if you want. I purchased from Amazon, Andameds and McKesson.

Essentials are a functional bag to stay organized, laptop or tablet (excluded from $500 total since most have this already), your equipment for vital signs, rapid strep, urine dip and cups, otoscope, stethoscope, portable weight scale, Rx pads, measuring tape, suture kits, gloves, local anesthetic, alcohol swabs, betadyne swabs, syringes, needles, bandages, suture, scalpels, sharps container, ACE wraps, tetracaine eye drops, fluorosceine strips, a can of freeze spray for warts etc,.

Emergency meds-- Aspirin, epinephrine, Benadryl.

Snelling chart, hearing screening device if you do school physicals.

I keep non-temperature-sensitive items in my primary bag, and anything sensitive in the secondary/procedural bag, which is never is left in my car.

You can add EKG but that’s not first line; it has rarely been needed or helpful since we serve mostly young families. If you plan on doing a lot of geriatrics, you’ll want one, but Medicare covers home health services for truly home-bound, so you can have them do the EKG for you.

I do have a neb machine and albuterol and ipratropium but have yet to use them. My glucometer and strips went unused for several years so I didn’t restock after expiration.

I use a fair amount of ceftriaxone, never used Toradol, sometimes Zofran ODT. Rapid flu test is expensive and not used much…but it came in handy for use on myself and wife. Wound glue is appreciated by families, but expensive. I only recently ordered that. Basic splints for fingers etc are dirt cheap.

We don’t draw blood, but you could, it just complicates your logistics. We have mobile 3rd parties do it or the patients go to a local lab service center when it is convenient for them.

I pack for a lot of contingencies but most visits only use a few things that can fit in an old school doctor’s bag. Hope that helps.

Live well,

Dr. Haden

Matthew Haden, MD, MPH, MBA

P 888.765.1444 x2

F 866.895.6753

Review us on Facebook and Google

(cjs56) #22

thanks Matt.

(sujata kumar) #23

I have a question about mobile care. what kind of business license do you need to provide mobile care or does the city/county license cover this aspect of care as well?